The Enforcer -- Odessa Jackalopes Blog

THE ENFORCER

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Five Jacks Attend AHL Training Camp


Well folks, hockey in West Texas is almost here and it has been a while since my last post. I have been pretty busy with my classes as of late and have had to put my blogging on the backburner for the last couple of weeks. Since I've been away from the computer, the Jacks have made several announcements regarding several key players on the team. The Jacks have announced that five Jackalopes are attending the AHL training camp with the Jack's AAA affiliate, the Bridgeport Soundtigers, two of which have signed two-way contracts with Bridgeport. The two players that have signed the two-way contracts are Jean Bourbeau and Juha Toivonen while the remaining Jacks that are participating in the training camp include Garrett Gruenke, Mike Lesperance, and Jeff Pierce. I am not too savvy with how two-way contracts work, but from what I have heard the contracts mean that Bourbeau and Toivonen will not have to go through waivers if they are to be sent down to their AA affiliate, the Jacks. One fellow Jackalope fan also claims that these are the first two Jackalopes in franchise history to sign two-way contracts, so I would guess that both Bourbeau and Juha have a fairly decent shot at making it to the next level in probably a relatively short amount of time. While I always hope that our players will grow and improve to the point where they are called up, I do have to admit that I hope that these two guys spend the majority of the season with the Jacks. I know I am being selfish, but these two guys are vital players to the Jacks and the Jacks would not be the same without them. With that being said, I would like to wish all of the Jacks participating in the Soundtiger's training camp all the luck in the world, and hopefully we will be seeing them back in Odessa very soon.


Now on to some more Jackalope news. The Jacks will be having their Merchandise Preview Party on the 30th of September (only four days away) which will give season ticket holders the opportunity to see the Jack's new products for the upcoming season. Season ticket holders will also be able to pick up their season ticket packages at this party. The Jacks will then have their annual Season Ticket Holder Taste Testing Event on October 6th. I have to say that as a season ticket holder for the past few seasons I attended this event last year, and it was an absolute blast. You get to meet and greet the players while sampling the new food and drinks from the Jack's concession stands. Also, at this year's event the Jacks will be holding their Black and White scrimmage which will make the night that much more fun for the fans. Then on October 8th, the Jacks will play their first preseason game at the ECC when they host the Tulsa Oilers. They will host the Oilers for another preseason game on October 10th which will be their last preseason game of the offseason, and then the Jacks coaching staff as well as the players will start gearing up for opening night of the regular season, wich is on October 16th.


In other CHL news:


  • Another skilled and gritty defenseman has signed with the always tough Mississippi Riverkings in Travis Wright. This is yet another decent pickup for the 'Kings, and the Northern Conference better get ready for 'Kings as they are sure to be at the top of the standings in the Northern Conference.

  • The Amarillo Gorillas have announced the signing of veteran defenseman Rod Aldoff. This guy has put up pretty good numbers throughout his career but will it be enough to make the apes a playoff contender? I think not, but only time will tell.

  • Former Jackalope (for a very short time might I add) Robin Richards has signed with the Laredo Bucks. This guy is an enforcer, but in my honest opinion he takes far too many stupid penalties, is rather slow, and not really that great of a fighter if I can be brutally honest with you. That is probably one of the main reasons that Gillis dumped Richards rather quickly, but how does that old cliche go, "one persons junk is another's treasure." I would be very, very surprised if Richards turns out to be a diamond in the rough for the Bucks, and I would think that the title "fools gold" might be more appropriate for this supposed enforcer.

  • Finally, Tori Holt has announced that he will be leaving Eagle Country as radio broadcaster as he has joined the Dallas Stars for an unknown (to me anyways) position. Kevin McGlue will now become the voice of the Eagles.

Until next time Jack fans all I have to say is GO JACKS GO!!! and hockey season is just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment